Let's Get it Started: 5 Spice Fried Rice



One of my absolute favorite recipe blogs since becoming vegan has been Thug Kitchen. They have a great vibe over there and the recipes are all things I tend to crave. This fried rice recipe being the perfect example. If you're sensitive to foul language I recommend you skip this particular site, though. I wouldn't want to be responsible for any pearls being clutched.

With the start of the new semester at school I was in need of some foul language and comfort food. Enter: 5 spice fried rice.

I received the Thug Kitchen Official Cookbook for Christmas from my older brother and this was my first attempt of a recipe from the book.

Oh. Em. Gee. This stuff is delicious.

The 5 spice powder is a seasoning I used to use a lot on pork back when I was an omnivore (and before I developed my allergy to pork). It's slightly sweet and delightfully earthy in flavor due to the anise seed powder in the spice blend.

I'm a sucker for anise seed.

Steve was a big fan of this dish, which is surprising because Steve is not typically a fan of Chinese food. The kids were split on their verdict. Yasmin liked it okay, but Miguel was not impressed.

Anise is a divisive flavor, so I'm not surprised at the mixed review.

Bottom line... I'm really excited about the leftovers for lunch and will definitely be making this again.

5 Spice Fried Rice:
adapted from Thug Kitchen: the Official Cookbook

  • 1 medium sweet potato, diced into cubes
  • 2 tsp sesame oil 
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 small yellow onion (I used the whole thing since I freaking love onion)
  • 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce (double check that you're using a brand that is vegan)
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp chili paste or Asian style hot sauce 
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots blend, thawed
Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the peeled and cubed sweet potato with the water and stir-fry the potato. Cook until the potatoes start to brown and get tender. This will take about 5-8 minutes.

Add the onion to the pan and cook until the onions become translucent, about 3 more minutes. 

Add in the 5 spice powder and the garlic and mix well. Let it hang out in the pan for a quick minute and then scrape everything into a bowl to wait. 

After you scrape the pan, use a small glass or mug to mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, and chili paste. 

Back to the hot pan...

Keep it over medium heat and add the rest of the sesame oil.

Add the rice to the pan and cook until its warm. (If you're like me and had to cook the rice when you got home, just mix your already warm rice until the oil is well distributed).

Drizzle the sauce from the glass/mug over the rice and mix well. Then add the potato and onion mixture. 

Stir fry things for a couple minutes and then fold in the pea/carrot mix. 

Turn off the heat and dig in!

***disclaimer: the original recipe called for bitter greens and adding the carrots separately from the peas, during the onion add portion. My grocery store did not have watercress (the bitter greens) and it was cheaper to just buy a mix of carrots and peas. I also used Mexican-style hot sauce instead of Asian style because it's what I had on hand.

Comments

Popular Posts